10 January 2006

On The Shelves: 1/11/06

Support GOOD Comics! Try something new EVERY month!

My weekly look at select comic books being released Wednesday, 1/11/06. The full shipping is list available at ComicList.

[NOTE: Not all of these titles will actually arrive in all stores. If your LCBS offers a pre-ordering service, be sure to take advantage of it. If not, find another one; or try Khepri.com or MidtownComics.com]

ANTARCTIC PRESS
Gold Digger Color Remix #1 (Of 4), $2.99


Think I'm going to finally check this one out. Flipped through a couple of issues in the past, and it didn't grab me, but I'm still curious.

ASPEN MLT INC
Soulfire Vol 1 HC, $24.99


I [sort of] understand the thinking behind hardcover collections for notable creators, particularly mainstream names like Whedon, Hudlin or Heinberg...but Soulfire? Really?

DARK HORSE COMICS
Weta Kong Skull, $40.00
Weta Narnia Lion & Witch Bookends, $175.00
Weta Narnia White Witch Statue, $250.00


Is Dark Horse a public company? Because I'd love to take a look at their annual report to get a sense of how they position themselves.

DC COMICS
Batman Hush Returns TPB, $12.99
DC Universe The Stories Of Alan Moore, $19.99
Dmz #3, $2.99
Seven Soldiers Of Victory Vol 1 TPB, $14.99


If that Hush collection is the first Gotham Knights arc, then it's actually pretty good. Too bad it derailed so badly afterwards. Is the DC Universe The Stories Of Alan Moore their way of flipping Moore off? DMZ gets one more chance to impress me before I drop it. I'm totally Wood's audience for it, but it's too didactic and hamhanded even for me. (Remember, I mostly like Hudlin's Black Panther!) I don't necessarily need to like Grant Morrison, but I really want to understand why some people think he's the greatest writer ever. Finally read Arkham Asylum this weekend and found it interesting, but nowhere near being one of the best Batman stories ever. Reserving final judgement, though, for when I finish reading his first-draft script that's included.

DEVILS DUE PUBLISHING
GI Joe Americas Elite #7, $2.95
GI Joe Sigma 6 #2, $2.95


Wasn't Adam Fortier involved in getting Devil's Due this license? I mean, it's still what you do with it that counts, but since I've been bashing the guy lately, I want to give credit where it's due.

IDW PUBLISHING
Super Bad James Dynomite #1, $3.99


Now that Fallen Angel killed my "too expensive" justification for avoiding IDW comics, I may have to check this out. Purely out of morbid curiosity.

IMAGE COMICS
Vice Cgc Graded 9.6 Sgn #1, $59.99


Is this new? Publishers selling CGC copies of their own books? That's lame. (And only a 9.6 at that?!?!)

MARVEL COMICS
Daughters Of The Dragon #1 (Of 6), $2.99
New Thunderbolts #17, $2.99
Son Of M #2 (Of 6), $2.99


I was pretty skeptical about the Daughters Of The Dragon mini-series, but the preview of the first issue actually looks fun. Now that I've fully caught up on it, New Thunderbolts is now my favorite team book. If you'd have told me this time last year that I'd have any X-books on my pull list, I'd have laughed at you. If you said I'd have a follow-up mini-series to an over-hyped event, I'd have spit on you while laughing. Joke's on me, I guess?

NARWAIN PUBLISHING
Horrorama Vol 2 GN, $13.90
Morgan Vol 1 GN (Of 2), $6.49
Rash #2 (Of 2), $3.99
Touch Real Miracles Half Price #1 (Of 3), $2.99


Another new publisher jumping into the fray with a ton of press releases and not a single title that's caught my attention.

NBM
Lucifers Garden Of Verses Vol 3 The Student HC, $15.95


Still trying to get the first Volume.

Magazines
Graphic Novel Scene Vol 2 #1, $6.95


Anyone familiar with this magazine?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As far as I know Fortier wasn't involved with getting Devil's Due the Joe license. However, when they decided to leave Image and set up shop on their own, he helped smooth that transition.

Fialkov said...

Grant Morrison's genius rests squarely on the shoulder of two books.

Animal Man - Meta-fiction meets Heartfelt Characterization AND Superheroics.

and

Doom Patrol - The sheer chutzpah of what is essentially a DaDaist take on the silliest concept in comics, filled with oblique references to art, pop culture, and the works of Sartre. It's literally in a different hemispehere than just about every other comic made before and since.

He's done lots of great work, but those two are just sheerly genius dissections of what this medium is possible.

:end lecture:

Guy LeCharles Gonzalez said...

Dabb: Thanks for the clarification.

Erech: I've made that mistake several times, too, not being terribly familiar with either's work. Evans certainly has the T&A thing down, though! :-O

Josh: I read the first Animal Man TPB a couple of months back, and was left feeling like its impact has been muted by time. It was interesting, but I wasn't blown away. I think my biggest problem with getting Morrison is that I went from being intrigued by his interview in Writers On Comics Scriptwriting, to the "Kissing Mr. Quimper" Invisibles TPB as my first reading of his. I don't think I've ever gotten over that!