02 April 2005

The Uncanny O-Man: (Belated) March Round Up

[Alphabetically, quick takes of what I read in March, in 100 words or less. Plus, a pick of the month.]

Bizarro Comics (DC Comics, 2001; $29.95) & Bizarro World (DC Comics, 2005; $29.95)
If I had to pick between the two, I'd go with Comics. I think I must be some sort of 9th Level Moron or something, but I need a good through line. Even the barely-there bookends in Comics felt better than the random stories of World. By the end Halfway through On page 5 of World, I was wondering why all these different stories were collected in a hardcover. Why did they need to be so expensive? Couldn't they have just been printed in a TPB? I'm not saying they were bad, I just didn't see why they needed to be a hardcover.

Hulk & Thing: Hard Knocks (Marvel Comics, 2005; $19.99)
I know I haven't collected comics regularly in a long time, but when did Jae Lee stop sucking? I'm teasing. He hasn't sucked for a while now. But seriously, when did he stop sucking? The story was good, too. Who wrote it? I don't remember and I’m too lazy to search for it. [Editor: Bruce Jones wrote it.] Granted, we all know The Hulk would whoop The Thing any day of the week. Green is a much better color than orange. Scissors beats paper. Rock beats scissors. Radioactive fist beats the crap out of orange rock face.

Mage: The Hero Defined Volumes 1 & 2 (Image Comics, 1999 & 2001; $9.95)
Mage is something I'd been avoiding. Why? Well, I don’t rightly know. It's a great comic with great characters, stories, set-up. (Jersey boy reincarnated as King Arthur and Excalibur is a glowing bat.) Considering this is the angel to Grendel's devil, I'm surprised I like it. ::shrug:: I don't know guys. I can't explain it. Maybe I like it because it's a straightforward superhero story, and the Lord Cthulhu knows I love me some superheroes. Apples out of oranges.

Public Domain: A Channel Zero DesignBook (AiT/Planet Lar, 2002; $12.95)
I'm kinda in general against sketchbooks. They're supplements to the primary product. I feel like they should be giveaways or "send us 3 proof of purchase" deals. As someone interested in artistic process, I did enjoy the book; but I can see people wondering if it was worth the $. Only get this if you loved Channel Zero. Otherwise don't bother. Licorice instead of chocolate.

Pick of the Month: Shade the Changing Man: The Perpetual Motion Machine (DC Comics, 1994)
I re-read this book everytime I'm sad. It's definitely in the top 5 of my favorite comics ever. As far as what it's about, well, it's about a boy dealing with losing a girl. Misery loves company. Sporks for everyone.

No comments: