01 November 2005

On The Shelves: 11/2/05

Support GOOD Comics! Try something new EVERY month!

My weekly look at select comic books being released tomorrow, 11/2/05. The full shipping is list available at ComicList.

[NOTE: Not all of these titles will actually arrive in all stores. If your LCBS offers a pre-ordering service, be sure to take advantage of it. If not, find another one; or try Khepri.com or MidtownComics.com]

ACC STUDIOS
Liberality For All #1 (Of 8), $2.99


Part of me feels obligated to pick this up, just because I believe I should be aware of all the "notable" comics out there, and part of me is reluctant to validate it by spending any money on it. What to do...?

[Update, via The Pickytarian: "According to ACC Studio's web site, "10% of the profits of the series are to be donated to the Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund, founded by Oliver North and heavily supported by Sean Hannity." That's a pretty convincing argument against indulging any morbid curiosity you may have."]

ALIAS ENTERPRISES LLC
Lullaby #1, $2.99
Yenny #1, $0.75
Yenny Miller Alt Cvr #1, $2.99


The first volume of Lullaby lost me by its last issue, with its increasingly indecipherable art and pacing, but I'm curious to see where it goes now that it's solely under Alias' banner. I'll pick up Yenny purely for the Latin connection, but I have to wonder why Alias thinks anyone would pay $2.99 for a Mike S. Miller cover when the regular edition is only $0.75. I mean, it's Mike S. Miller, not Michael Turner. That's taking narcissism to a whole 'nother level!

AMAZE INK (SLAVE LABOR GRAPHICS)

When the hell is the next 15 Minutes coming out?!?!

DARK HORSE COMICS
Conan & The Demons Of Khitai #2 (Of 4), $2.99


The first issue of this spinoff was good stuff.

DC COMICS
Batman Gotham County Line #2 (Of 3), $5.99
Jonah Hex #1, $2.99
Omac Project TPB, $14.99
Winter Men #3 (Of 8), $2.99


Jonah Hex is a definite pick up, though I'm still unclear if my interest comes from the character himself or a more general sense of nostalgia. Steve Niles' County Line got off to an intriguing start, silly jetpack aside, but it'll be a last second call on whether or not I simply wait for the trade to finish reading it. Same for Winter Men, the second issue of which has steadily drifted towards the bottom of my to-read pile. OMAC is tempting, if only to put the last nail in my former-Rucka-fan coffin after that idiotic quote of his in the NY Times made me laugh out loud: "When they're saying 'it's too dark,' they're saying, 'I'm scared.'" No, Greg; the only thing I'm scared of is spending money on plot-hammered, Infinite Crisis-connected comics.

DEVILS DUE PUBLISHING
GI Joe Americas Elite #5, $4.50
GI Joe Americas Elite Poster, $5.95


Speaking of nostalgia, I'm actually enjoying this latest version of G.I. Joe a lot, so much so, I even bought that Data Book a couple of weeks ago. That said, I'm not buying the poster. My wife wouldn't let me hang it up anyway!

MARVEL COMICS
Captain Universe Hulk, $2.99
Captain Universe Power Unimaginable TPB, $19.99

House Of M #8 (Of 8), $2.99
Powers #14, $2.95


Captain Universe? Why Marvel? Why? Cynicism aside, I'm looking forward to the conclusion of House of M, and will likely read it right there in the store. Regardless of the outcome, that's an accomplishment few comics have achieved since I started buying them again.

MONKEYSUIT PRESS
Monkeysuit Vol 5 Death Comes To Monkeysuit GN, $11.95


Monkeys always win. Best Title of the Week!

SPEAKEASY COMICS
Rocketo #3, $2.99


Some interesting goings-on over at Speakeasy, as its been announced that Rocketo is moving to Image after its sixth issue; they cancelled the Atomika TPB; Hero@Large is done after its fourth issue; and, perhaps the biggest news, they've reportedly been "sold to an as-yet unnamed entertainment company for big cash." As long as they don't screw up Elk's Run or The Grimoire, I'm cool.

VIPER COMICS
Dead At 17 Protectorate #1 (Of 3), $2.95


Another indie darling I don't get. Nice art, derivative story. Meh. I like Viper, though, so I hope it sells well for them.

No comments: